I was taken at about 4:35PM on June 11 2011. I had almost made it on the plane. There was the door standing open, the flight attendants smiling just inside. I could almost reach out and touch the plane. But that was as close as I was going to get.

I was removed from the queue of passengers, held to the side as they passed by staring nervously. My bags were removed from the plane and set next to me on the jetway. My escorts stayed with me as the door closed and the plane left without me. I was escorted back to the gate and held while the appropriate authorities were summoned. When they arrived I was briefly interrogated and inspected. Then I was whisked away, out of the airport and quite some distance away.

There I was repeatedly interrogated. It would be nearly 23 hours before I was allowed food or water and 11 hours before I was even given the opportunity to go to the bathroom, and that none too privately. I lost track of the number of people who would come in, ask me questions, and then disappear again. Then the “torture” began. If they weren’t pulling something out of my veins they were shoving stuff in. I was hooked to machine after machine all night long. I was repeatedly X-Rayed, my internal organs Sonogramed, and blood taken. Sometimes they would come in with a whole handful of hypodermics, injecting one right after the other. Several times I got injections directly in my stomach.

Day 3 was the worst. I was taken to a lab where I was injected with chemicals, including radioactive materials, while they observed how my body reacted. It was a horrible feeling of panic and nausea. A couple hours later I was “suddenly” released. I was given a card to show TSA if I set off any alarms at the airport – as I was now radioactive! My belongings were returned to me and was “shown the door”.

I had to call a cab to get back to the Airport. I secured a seat on the next flight out and managed to get through Security without setting off any alarms. Once the plane left the ground I felt I was finally “free”. But once again, “The Twilight Zone” reached out to remind me I was NEVER truly free.

It wasn’t the turbulence that woke me up. It was the tone in the Pilot’s voice. “We are experiencing some form of mechanical problem at the rear of the plane”…”We are going to have to return to the Airport”… Then the Air Conditioning went out. The temperature in the cabin was rising quickly, people starting fanning themselves. The plane bucked and hopped as we dropped into the Airport. The Pilot’s voice assured us is was normal procedure for the Emergency Response Units to greet any mechanical problems. It was also normal procedure to bring the plane to a stop on a piece of tarmac far from the terminal, “while the guys give us once over”. No mention was made when the water hit the right rear of the plane. We were then given the “OK” to proceed to the terminal and de-plane..

I boarded the NEXT plane with an almost “Groundhog Day:” sense of resignation. Although it was more reminiscent of a roller coaster ride than a short flight, it did get me away and Home.

Sorry, comments are closed for this post.